Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Breath of Courage and a Finished Skirt

It's not FO Friday yet but I just have to share today's accomplishment.
It's an FO that's a year in the making!  I finally finished it!

It all started last year when my daughter was on one of her sewing sprees.  She's been diving in more and more and just going for it with making clothes.  It's paying off...she's getting really good!  It's inspiring although I'm so hesitant to sew clothes because I've never made any that I love.  But, this skirt was hard to resist.  She made several of them.  Here's one of my favorites...


It's a short skirt pattern (Simplicity 2226) that she made long.

In one of my moments of inspiration over the past couple of years, I bought some nice fabric and a pattern for a dress.  I was too chicken to cut out and make the dress.  However, I did feel confident enough about the skirt to go for it.  So, last summer, I made this skirt.  But....I was too chicken to hem it.  I guess I was worried about cutting off the bit of excess on the bottom and about the chance that I wouldn't like it once it was done.  I took a breath of courage today and went for it.
Here's my finished skirt...
(Please ignore the hair...this is my hang around the house look...lol)


I'm not quite sure if I'm in love with it yet.  I'm worried that it might look a little prairie-like.  But, I sure want to love it.  These skirts look great on my daughter, it's super comfy, the fabric is adorable and it has pockets!  I love pockets!  Here's a close up of the pocket and one of my dandy belt loops.


I think I did a pretty good job of sewing it.


These were my first belt loops and one of the only zippers I've ever sewn in.


I need a belt that's a tad bit wider but this worked to see how it will look.


I like how the skirt looks with a white top.  A red or navy one might look good too.  And, maybe even a denim jacket.  I'm hoping it'll work great in the cooler months with boots too.

Wow!  I can't believe it's actually finished!  It won't be on my to-do list anymore!  Yay!

11 comments:

Cindie said...

Your skirt is wonderful and it will look great with a denim jacket when it gets cooler out.

Michelle said...

That came out just beautifully!

Delighted Hands said...

You did a great job!! Very nice that you went the extra mile on the details...they add up! You will love wearing it this Fall, too.

mamasmercantile said...

An impressive make, it looks wonderful. I love the fabric and would look brilliant with a jacket for the Autumn.

Amy at love made my home said...

It is lovely, and you sewed it beautifully - and your daughters is lovely too!! xx

gilly said...

Yay for you, well done you did a great job! Now what's next on your To Sew list? ;-)
Xx

Susan said...

Is there no end to your talents!?! I love that skirt - it's casual and sophisticated all at once. You did a wonderful job with the waste band, pocket and belt loops. Good for you for sticking with it!

Mereknits said...

Well I love it, and your hang around the house hair, you should see mine! I can't believe you made pockets, belt loops and a zipper, your skills are way more complex than mine.
Hugs,
meredith

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have zero sewing skills so it looks great to me. I never wear skirts anymore. Got of out the habit when I was teaching kindergarten and now I just can't seem to wear one without feeling out of place. A long one would be much more to my liking. I say wear it with confidence. Best wishes, Tammy

Wainwright and Wright.Co said...

Gosh, your skirt is super. Great sewing and such pretty material - well done
Caz xx

judy said...

Wow!. The skirt looks great! I didn't even know you were a sewer.