Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Yum!

We have a fig tree in our back yard and the fruit is starting to ripen.  Luckily, this year, it's ripening a bit at a time instead of all at once.  We usually lose most of them because we just can't eat them fast enough.  And, even though we like them, we don't love them.  I was going to try something new this year, dehydrating.  I gave it a whirl yesterday and filled a couple trays in the dehydrator.  They were finished this morning and....WOW!  They're SO yummy!  This is officially my favorite way to eat figs!


I tried a method I'd seen online....drop whole figs into boiling water for 30 seconds to weaken the skin so moisture can get through while dehydrating.  Remove them from the water and immediately dunk them into an ice bath.  I dried and cut them in half and put them on the trays.  They've been drying for almost 24 hours.  A little less time might have been better.  But, they sure are tasty and they have a crispiness from the seeds that seems to add to the fun of eating them.  I can't wait for more to ripen!

10 comments:

Susan said...

Dried figs are my favorite snack food! I had two figs growing on my little tree, but one of the cats knocked one off... :(

Julie Nichols said...

How nice to have a fig tree in your yard. I love figs they make a great healthy snack.

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, I am so impressed, the supermarket is the nearest I ever get to a fig.

Mereknits said...

They look delicious. Your trip to LA with your friend sounded wonderful. It is always nice to get away for a bit with a good friend.
Hugs,
Meredith

linda said...

I love figs and have a fig tree in my garden too but it's very small and I'm lucky if I get 3 figs a year! Yours look so big and tasty I would love to try them this way I bet they are yummy. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! lucky you to have a fig tree that is so giving in your yard. Glad you have found a way for you to enjoy the bounty!
Peace~
Dawn

Art and Sand said...

I don't know that I have ever eaten a fig. I guess I need to hunt some down at the produce stand.

Michelle said...

Wishing I had a fig tree! These do look really good.

September Violets said...

I've only ever eaten figs in fig newtons. They sure look good though. Wendy x

Delighted Hands said...

Great advice on boiling them first! We have a fig tree and it does work well to preserve them to dry them!