Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rockin' Out and on the Edge

I had so much fun crocheting the red lacy rock cozy that I just couldn't stop!
I've made two more so far and I know they won't be the last!


I used more stash yarn for this one.  It's an old ball of ecru cotton that I inherited decades ago.
It was probably old when I got it.  They sure don't make cotton thread like they used to!
This was so soft and silky to the touch and so different to work with.


I used a size 6 hook again and this one is completely improvised.
The shape of this rock brought a nautilus shell to mind.
So, I started out with a nautilus shape for the center and went from there.

Here's the back...


This round rock seemed perfect for a flower.
The gray color of the rock seemed perfect for pink.
I happened to have some coral/pink thread in my stash.


This one is improvised too.  I really like how it turned out.  Here's the back...


I'm having so much fun crocheting with cotton thread that I decided
to try something I've wanted to do for years...crochet lace edging.  
I flipped through a bunch of my patterns and decided on one this one...


I tried a smaller hook but realized that a six is probably the smallest I want to go.
The next size smaller made the stitches too small to see.  Crocheting with size six still bugs my
eyes out a little but keeps the stitches small enough to make the lace somewhat delicate.
I'm using Aunt Lydia's size 10 cotton crochet thread from my stash.

I started it morning.  I just have a bit more to finish on the edging.
Then, it'll be time for blocking.  I can't wait to see how it will look when it's finished.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the rocks! So cool!

Judy S said...

LOVE the nautilus shell pattern - most appropriate if it covers a rock from the beach!
What will you be putting the lace edging on when you're done and it's blocked? Curious minds want to know ;-)

Sea Witch said...

This is so clever and what a pretty way to decorate rocks without changing their natural beauty.

Miss LindaLee said...

I just love these covers you're doing for the rocks. What a neat way to pretty them up.

Cindie said...

The nautilus is beautiful - and you made that up as you went?!!!

Sandra said...

THe rock covers are gorgeous - I can see the attraction - very tactile.
And the edging is very pretty as well -I bet it blocks out even lacier.

kathyinozarks said...

I really love these crocheted rocks

Benita said...

I really love the nautilus rock - that's something most people wouldn't think about knitting, but it totally works here.

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, these are awesome! Is a pattern forthcoming? Hint, hint! :D
They really are gorgeous... your talent never ceases to amaze me!
Hugs and enjoy your week,
Beth P

Susan said...

OMG I love those rocks!

September Violets said...

That shell crochet on the rock is so, SO nice! What a great improviser you are! It suits the rock shape so well. And that lace edging reminds me of old-fashioned heavy cotton pillow cases with the lace edging ... so pretty! Wendy

Sel and Poivre said...

LOVE the Nautilus version!

Tina T-P said...

Well those rocks are just cool - the lace is beautiful - I've never tried doing anything like that - the fanciest I've gotten is a star shaped baby blanket. Nice blog. T.